Brunswick County, North Carolina Links
From its beginning, the town was wrought with problems. A Spanish privateer ship attacked the town in 1748. The Spanish landed in present-day Southport with the hope of capturing the local residents and turning them into slaves. The colonists fled, regrouped and sank the ship. Brunswick was one of the first towns in America to rebel against the British. When the King passed the Stamp Tax, armed colonists met the customs officials. The area was next decimated by malaria, a result of the mosquitoes and proximity to the river. By the time the British burned Brunswick in 1776, the area was almost completely deserted. It stayed that way for almost 100 years.
The area was sold in 1842 to Orton Plantation for $4.25. In 1862, it came alive during the Civil War when Camp Anderson called Brunswick home. Brunswicks history continued to fluctuate; in fact, the area never really caught on a s a great place to live until well after World War II when major industrial plants moved in during the 1960s. DuPont, Carolina Power and Light Co., Pfizer and a citric acid plant owned by Archer-Daniels-Midland Company breathed new life into the area. As a result, the area has experienced an incredible increase in growth and popularity.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.